Pounds and inches lost:-

Weight



Waist Measurement

Monday 15 October 2012

Altering clothes so they fit my slimmer frame

Some clothes I am reluctant to get rid of despite them being too big. I am not, by any means, good at sewing but I can work my sewing machine and I can do a few stitches by hand.

With a few simple dresses and a-line skirts I have reduced their size by turning them inside out and running a line of stitches an inch or two inside the existing seams (this turns size 18s into size 10/12s).  It is not a professional job but it is free and when turned the right way around it is not possible to see the alterations :).

This weekend I unpacked my winter coats. I was apprehensive about trying on a coat I bought, thankfully not when at my biggest, as I knew it would be too big and I love it. It was was pricey and purchased from a gorgeous boutique on a memorable visit to Warwick with hubby. I loved it so much I bought it despite it being being a hot and sunny August day!

As predicted, when I tried it on this weekend, the coat was unflatteringly loose on my new frame. It fitted well across my bust (which is great as it was always very tight there) but was way too big around the middle. I looked at how I could alter it and realised that a few simple stitches to the back (either side of back waist band) would nip the coat in by 8" at the waist and create two flattering pleats into the bargain :).

The alteration to the coat took 10 minutes.





A few stitches added to the back of my beloved winter coat has nipped
it in at the waist nicely (creating two new pleats at the back) :)







Front

Back

No comments:

Post a Comment