Pounds and inches lost:-

Weight



Waist Measurement

Sunday 7 October 2012

Controlling emotional eating


In the past, like many overweight and obese people, I would often eat when I was not hungry. Infact, prior to being banded, I hardly ever ate because I was hungry. I rarely went without food long enough to physically become hungry. I craved food, I obsessed about food and I wanted food but not due to physical need (not very often at least). 

The experience of being banded has had the unexpected, but very welcome, result of my recognising and conquering my emotional eating habits. Interestingly I don't think I would have been able to address them pre-band because it is the experience if being banded that has enabled me to recognise how I used to use food. 

My emotional connection to food was at serious odds with the very basic rules of being banded, namely: 
  • only eat when hungry;
  • eat slowly and consciously;
  • eat small portions, off a small plate;
  • and stop eating when no longer hungry. 

None of the above allowed for emotional eating and, as a result, I became aware that I used to eat for reasons other than hunger. I read a book on emotional eating and that helped me to identify what my triggers are (mostly work stress, sadness and boredom).  

I learnt to chant the mantra "if the problem is not hunger the solution is not food" in my head whenever I felt a compulsion to eat.



Now when I feel the urge to reach for food when I am not physically hungry I address it thus:

Step one: if the problem is not hunger then what is it?

Step two: what would be a more appropriate response to the problem?


Ultimately I have had to come to terms with the fact that food can be a lovely distraction from stuff I don't want to do or think, can entertain me when I am bored, can comfort me when I am sad etc. BUT only temporarily and after I have eaten I am still overworked, sad, bored etc. but I have the additional problem of my having overeaten and that makes me feel bad (and physically I know the consequences that overeating have for me). 

I have to remain vigilant and sometimes resisting the urge to soothe my emotions with food is very, very difficult. But it's becoming easier and easier - practice makes perfect afterall..........

No comments:

Post a Comment