Pounds and inches lost:-

Weight



Waist Measurement

Monday 22 October 2012

Cheaply and simply altering a coat


Losing weight can be a costly business especially when good quality clothing, that is now too big, needs to be replaced. 

I am no seamstress but I can work a sewing machine (the basic features at least) and I can crudely sew by hand.  Even if I didn't already own a sewing machine I'd be tempted to purchase one because the cost of a machine is more than paid for by the savings involved in altering, as opposed to replacing, good quality garments.

I have given lots of clothes to charity shops but have altered a few key pieces.  The alterations are far from professional but they are not visible when the clothes are on so they are good enough. 

Yesterday I altered the coat pictured below.


Coat before adjustment (hangs shapelessly from my bust)


On the inside I pinned left and right seam (from under arms to hem), taking the coat in by 10" (5" each side) at the hem and gradually decreasing the amount to meet the original seam directly under the arms. 

I tried the coat on to make sure the pins were correctly placed. 

Unfortunately the coat (it is fur lined) is too thick to fit under the foot on my sewing machine so hand stitching was the only option. I used thick thread doubled then quadrupled through the needle. 


Pinned then sewed a new seam - 2.5" in at coat hem and decreasing
 to meets the original seam under the arm.






The excess material will fold neatly inside the coat
and be invisible when I wear it




The seam does not look 'pretty' and anyone inspecting it would know it was altered by a complete amateur.  However, the alteration was free, I get to keep my coat and when it is worn it is not possible to see the crude alteration. What do you think?




The altered coat fits much more flatteringly






close up of the seam




front view




I have altered a-line skirts and simple dresses using this same crude, yet inexpensive, technique.  It is gratifying on numerous levels to do so :)


Happy sewing.

BeBea xx



No comments:

Post a Comment