Pounds and inches lost:-

Weight



Waist Measurement

Monday 6 February 2012

The actual surgery.....


The placement of a gastric band around the stomach



For those of you interested in my experience of going down to surgery here is my recollection:

Prior to surgery I was required to shower and remove all make-up (not that I was wearing any), deodorant, creams etc. I then put on surgical gown with 100% cotton knickers underneath. Note if the knickers were not 100% cotton I would have been required to instead wear a pair of opaque 'paper' pants provided. I then put on the surgical stockings that all patients are required to wear (I was permitted to remove them when I got home the day after surgery but I know some people are required to wear them for a week or so post surgery - I think the decision is down to age, weight, other health concerns and mobility post surgery).

The nurse came and walked me down to surgery (almost 2 hours later than expected because they were waiting for blood results to be returned). I wore my own robe and slippers (over the surgical gown and socks) to walk down to the theatre.

I arrived in a room next to theatre and my dressing gown and slippers were taken back to my room by the nurse. I recall feeling quite 'exposed' as she left leaving me standing there in nothing but a flimsy cotton gown and a pair of pants. The room was quite cold. The anaesthetist checked my name and DOB then walked me into theatre.

It was quite an odd experience walking into theatre itself. There were lots of people in there (probably about 10) and I smiled and said "hello" (feeling very surreal as I did so). I was asked to get onto the operating table (as I did so someone was loosening my surgical gown and ensuring it did not get trapped underneath me - I had an urge to pull it back over myself but I resisted) and I was asked to shuffle down until my feet were flat against the rest at end of the table.

The anaesthetist asked me to place my arms into the rests attached to the table (think crucifix type position) and someone began loosely strapping my arms in place. At the same time someone was placing cuffs around my lower legs (similar to large blood pressure cuffs) and someone else was tugging the gown down at the front and attaching heart monitor patched to my chest. The team worked very quickly and efficiently. Had I not had some idea that all of this was going to happen (and whilst i was still conscious) I may have panicked a little. I had to work hard to keep thoughts of how much more 'exposed' I would be once unconscious from my mind.

As soon as my arm was on the left arm rest the anaesthetist was I inserting the canular and his assistant was speaking quietly near my right ear reassuring me that they were going to take very good care of me whilst I was asleep and before I knew it I would be waking up. I felt a cold feeling travel up my arm and I was asleep.


The next thing I knew I was waking up with a very kind nurse asking me if I was feeling okay. I was very warm and comfortable and felt pleasantly floaty and light. I drifted in and out of a pleasant sleep as they wheeled me, on my very comfortable bed, back to my room.

The nurse asked me if I had a mobile phone. I told her it was in the drawer and she brought it to me. I was desperate to surrender to the lovely floaty sleep that was beckoning me but knew I must first let husband know I was awake after the op and all was well. I called him and told him just that and that I loved him. He said he would call my mum. Ahhhhhh sleep.........

I drifted in and out of the most wonderful sleep for the next two hours (waking occasionally for a sip of water).

No comments:

Post a Comment